Once we export contacts from an address book, that data may turn out in .vcf or vCard format. When exporting data from the Hostens Webmail we get it in .vcf format as well.
In this article you will find tips on how to convert the formats mentioned above to .csv, which is used globally and imported into many applications.
Convert .vcf to .csv on Windows OS.
It is possible to convert .vcf/vCard to .csv directly in Windows without any additional online tools or applications. This is what you have to do:
- Open Windows Explorer. It can be done using a keyboard shortcut (Windows key + E);
- Go to your user directory followed by /contacts. By default, this directory can be found taking the following path: C:\Users\UserName\Contacts;
- Click on Import from the top menu;
- Choose vCard (VCF file) from the import list and click Import;
- Go to the location of the address book you’ve exported from the mail client and click Open;
- Once it is open, click OK on each contact from the address book to import it;
- Once the importing process of all the contacts is completed, click on Close;
- Select all of the imported contacts. Simply select one and press Ctrl-A to select them all;
- Click on Export from the top menu;
Choose CSV format and click Export;
- To save your .csv file, press Browse…, enter the name of your file, and click Save followed by Next >;
- Choose the fields you would like to export and click Finish.
Convert .vcf to .csv MacOS.
It is possible to convert .vcf/vCard to .csv either using a paid app called ContactsMate or free of charge using an online tool.
Below we will investigate how to convert VCF/vCard to CSV on Mac online. Remember that you will need to upload your exported file to the online tool server in order to convert it to the necessary format.
- Open the website on your browser: https://www.aconvert.com/document/vcf-to-csv/;
- Press the Choose Files button, select the exported VCF file, and click Open;
- The file will be uploaded. In the Target, format the drop-down list, make sure that the option CSV is selected.
Press Convert Now;
- Once the process is completed, go to the Conversion Results section, and under the Action column, press the download icon;
- You will be redirected to a new page to download the converted CSV file by clicking the hyperlink File URL.
Common email file types.
A CSV file is a plain text file that contains a list of data. It has a relatively simple structure, basically, it’s a list of data separated by commas. This file type is often used for exchanging data between different applications. For example, databases and contact managers often support CSV files.
A VCF file extension is almost always contacts saved in vCard format. Typically used by various Personal Information Managers or email clients and exported from mobile phones to share or move contacts from one device to another.
A PTS file extension is used for the storage file format of Microsoft Outlook. PST file contains stored emails, calendars and contacts in one single file.
An EML file extension is used by various email clients, such as Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird. This file type contains saved email messages and is either meant as a backup option or used for sharing data.