XRDP usage allows you to access VPS with Linux OS from your device over RDP protocol. This is very useful for Windows OS devices, that have Remote Desktop Connection application available by default.
The template is available on our Linux VPS packages only.
1. Installation of OS template:
In Time4VPS you are able to install XRDP + Ubuntu template without even needing to access the VPS over SSH:
- Log-in to the Clients Portal;
- Select at the top of menu the “Services > VPS hosting” tab;
- Press the “Manage” button at the service table;
- Press the “Install OS” button;
- Choose operating system, agree with warning and press “Continue“;
- Wait for 5-10 minutes and refresh VPS management page.
After installation will be completed, your VPS Log-in credentials will be provided in “Login Details” section of your service management page.
2. Login from Windows computer:
- Open up your “Remote Desktop Connection” program and select “Show Options“.
- Enter your login credentials:
- Press “Connect”
- Enter Password of your VPS.
3. Log-in from Linux
For access from Linux, you will need “rdesktop” package installed on your device. For Ubuntu/Debian use:
apt-get update apt-get install rdesktop
yum update yum install rdesktop
Finally, after the installation will be completed, to establish the connection, use the following command:
rdesktop -u root -p PASSWORD -g 1024×768 YOUR_SERVER_IP
Do not forget to update the “PASSWORD” and “YOUR_SERVER_IP” parts to ones that match your VPS. If you would like to change the resolution, you can do so, by updating the “-g 1024×768” parameter.
The template comes with Mozilla Firefox browser pre-installed for easier usage. It can be found by clicking “Applications” in top left corner and choosing category “Internet”.
Furthermore, if you would like to set own custom password for the connection, run the following command:
After entering the command, you will have to enter new password and afterwards repeat it. After the password will be changed, for it to take effect – reboot the VPS. The reboot can be done by clicking “root” at the top right corner, choosing “Log Out…” and pressing “Restart”. Or you can access your VPS over SSH and issue the command manually by using “reboot” command.
For installation of advanced Ubuntu desktop packages, you should open Terminal and run the following command:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
For the packages to be fully applied, reboot your VPS.